(Communities, Identities, Culture)
The Faculty of Philosophy and History at Plovdiv University ‘Paisii Hilendarski' is one of the best friends of ‘Plovdiv 2019'. The master‘s programme ‘Ethnology' trains experts in the fields of culture and working with communities. The training provides knowledge and develops skills required for social diagnosis, the analysis of problems caused by cultural prejudices, and how to offer solutions to conflicts that occur in society.
These young people are willing to help Plovdiv and prove that this is the City - Cultural Capital of Europe 2019.
The master's programme in Ethnology is designed for students who have completed a bachelor's degree in the humanities and social sciences and who would like to prepare for future careers in the field of cultural interactions.
The programme is accredited and aims to provide a broader theoretical and practical knowledge of the communities, identities and culture. It provides knowledge and caters for developing the skills required for social diagnosis, the analysis of the problems caused by cultural prejudices, and how to offer solutions to conflicts in society. The practical orientation of the programme allows students during the time of their training to acquire skills for self-development projects in the social and cultural sphere. Students work with state institutions, NGOs and communities to achieve common goals. Along with that, the programme also offers the learning a foreign language in terms of a specialized vocabulary, which enriches the skills of intercultural communication.
The aim of the master's programme is to deepen and specialize the skills of students holding a bachelor's degree of Ethnology and / or graduates from other disciplines and to provide additional expertise in the field of ethnology in order to complement and enhance the experience of those working with communities, cultural policies and cultural interactions.
The mission of the training is to meet the new social and economic conditions in the country and in the European Union. It aims to give broader theoretical knowledge and practical skills related to the nature of the ethnic and religious communities, their identity, culture and heritage, as well as their interaction at a European level.
The educational integrated into the master's programme is based on the preparation and skills incorporated into the BA programme. The training period is two semesters for graduates in Ethnology.
Graduates can work successfully in the management and animation of cultural heritage in museums, cultural organizations and the tourism sector. They can work as:
- Managers of the cultural heritage in museums, state, municipal and non-governmental cultural organizations;
- Animators of cultural heritage in museums, state, municipal and non-governmental cultural organizations;
- Guides to museums, state, municipal and non-governmental cultural organizations;
- Experts in the field of cultural policies for heritage and cultural activities in the state and municipal cultural institutions, non-governmental organizations;
- Experts in cultural heritage in galleries, museums, community centres;
- Experts in cultural heritage in the media;
- Experts in the development, organization and realization of cultural projects related to the socialization and integration of cultural heritage.
How to apply
- During the academic year 2013-2014 the programme will be accepting students holding a BA ‘Ethnology' of a mark no less than ‘Good'.
- For the Master's programme there are also state-sponsored places.
- Semester fee: 650.00BGN per semester.