Social Mediation and Communication
The Faculty of Philosophy and History at Plovdiv University ‘Paisii Hilendarski' is one of the best friends of ‘Plovdiv 2019'. The Master's programme ‘Social mediation and communication' trains experts in the field of mediation and communication. The mixing of cultures, the new type of meetings between communities and groups, knowledge of the forms of social interaction is essential for the dialogue and the understanding between individuals, groups and institutions, as these can also be considered as challenges to Plovdiv's preparation for a European cultural centre. Expert mediators apply mediation, as well as support communication and interaction, which represent alternative methods for the resolution of problems and conflicts through the means of a dialogue and to improve the social relations between differences.
These young people are willing to help Plovdiv and prove that this is the City - Cultural Capital of Europe 2019.
The master's programme in ‘Social Mediation and Communication' is a part of the accredited field of 3.1 Sociology, Anthropology and Cultural Studies. It is designed for students who have completed undergraduate programmes in the social, humanitarian, legal and pedagogical sciences and who like to prepare for new the professions in the field of social interaction and communication.
Modern advances in technology and communications, the increased mobility and the mixing of cultures have led to a new type of meetings between communities and groups, in which the knowledge about the forms of social interaction is essential for the occurrence of a dialogue and the reaching of agreement. The widening gaps which are the reverse effect of globalization and the phases of migration between different social worlds are accompanied by difficult integration or poor social adaptation. This often leads to conflicts and social exclusion, which creates problems for the functioning of society and create obstacles for resolving the difficulties of people, groups, state and local institutions.
In such a mode of different possibilities of access to the institutions, an innovative approach to communication should be sought, because the strategies for action, interactions, and patterns of work, education and health care, even when they are established, in many cases are either ineffective or inadequate. The use of mediation, including its use as a means of support to communication and interaction, which that are an alternative method for the resolution of problems and conflicts through dialogue, requires a new type of experts and inculcates the profession of the mediator.
Graduates will be prepared to apply the process of social mediation in state and municipal governments, in NGOs, in a business environment, as well as during interpersonal and inter-group communication. They can work as:
- Experts in mediation activities in the social, legal, employment, medical, educational and cultural spheres;
- Experts on communication of ethnic, social and religious communities and intercultural interactions;
- Experts / consultants to state, municipal and non-governmental organizations on issues related to the resolution and prevention of conflicts and disputes;
- Experts in the development, organization and realization of cultural and social projects;
- Experts in state and municipal administrations and NGOs.
How to apply
- During the academic year 2014-2015 the programme will be accepting students with BA degrees with grades no less than ‘Good' or candidates holding MA degrees in social, economic, legal, humanitarian and pedagogical sciences.
- For the Master's programme have also been allocated state-sponsored places.
Fee: 650.00 BGN per semester.