Research Centre ‘Science, Technology, Innovation'
The Research Centre ‘Science, Technology, Innovation' (STI) was founded in 2004 at the Department of ‘Applied and Institutional Sociology' at the Faculty of Philosophy and History of Plovdiv University ‘Paisii Hilendarski'. It has the following objectives:
- To raise the level of training in the module ‘Social Studies of Science, Technology and Economy' in the bachelor's programme in sociology and the master's programme ‘Management of Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship'.
- To integrate students in the research work of lecturers;
- To support the training of PhD students specializing in priority areas for the centre;
- To work on basic and applied research in the fields of the social studies of science and technology, the sociology of innovation and the economics of technological change;
- To assist the researchers of natural-sciences and engineering at the University and other universities in the region on issues of science policy, the relationship between science-industry and science-society; the protection of intellectual property among others.
The centre has the necessary infrastructure and know-how to carry out research projects – from developing a methodology for research in data analysis to the presentation of final results. Employees of the centre are able to conduct different types of qualitative and quantitative research of any kind (media analysis, focus groups, analysis of cases, in-depth interviews, representative sample surveys, regional studies), as well as to advise researchers and business representatives.